Many times we complain about having acidity or heartburn. We all have suffered or experienced it at some point in our life. But have you ever wondered as to why do we experience heartburn and acid reflux in our body? How is it caused? What are few ways and home remedies that can help us get relief from the suffering that is caused because of acidity problems.
If you are someone who experiences heartburn and acid reflux frequently or are finding it difficult to get rid of them, then do not worry anymore. In this blog post, I have discussed the reasons along with few home remedies that will be of great help to understand and get rid of your acidity problems.
What is acidity?
It is very important to understand first what is acidity? Acidity, also called as acid reflux is a condition that occurs in our body due to the excess secretion of acids by our gastric glands in our stomach. Some amount of acids is needed to digest the foods that we eat but when more acid is secreted than needed, it causes a burning sensation in the lower chest area. This burning sensation is also referred to as heartburn. This occurs when the extra stomach acids flow back into our food pipe which is quite annoying and can make us feel quite sick and miserable.
Causes of acidity
One very important thing that many of us do not realize is that acidity and heartburn is mainly caused due to poor lifestyle choices and unhealthy eating habits. Few of these habits can affect our body’s digestive process and contribute to acid reflux in our body. These are:
– Skipping meals or eating foods at irregular times or having long gaps in between meals.
– Overeating or consuming very oily, salty and spicy foods that can trigger heartburn or acid reflux in our body.
– Excessive consumption of certain foods. These include tea, coffee, sodas, carbonated drinks, extremely spicy foods, chocolate, acidic foods such as oranges, lemon, tomatoes and pineapple. They can stimulate excess production of stomach acids leading to heartburn.
– Consumption of high fat content foods like junk and fried foods. This can affect the proper functioning of the lower esophageal sphincter that results in to relax and allow acids to reflux from stomach in the esophagus.
– Following a diet that is low in dietary fibers can also lead to frequent acidity problems.
– Obesity or being overweight causes an increased pressure on our abdomen that can cause acid reflux.
– Frequent smoking and alcohol consumption.
– Lack of physical activity and sleep.
– Excessive stress.
Symptoms of acidity
The symptoms of heartburn and acid reflux can vary from one person to the other. However, the most common symptom is a burning feeling in the lower chest or chest pain. Other symptoms that may occur due to acidity and acid reflux are:
– Difficulty in swallowing foods or having a feeling of something being stuck in your throat.
– Frequent burpings.
– Burning sensation or pain in the throat or stomach.
– A sour taste in the mouth.
– Nausea or restlessness.
– Bad breaths.
– Constipation or indigestion.
If you experience any of these symptoms persistently or frequently on a chronic basis, it is better to visit your healthcare provider to get appropriate treatment. However, if you do not experience acidity very frequently or it is not very chronic, then there are few ways that can help you a lot in preventing acidity issues.
Treatment and home remedies
As acidity is mainly caused due to unhealthy lifestyle choices, making lifestyle modifications and healthy eating choices can reduce acidity problems to a great extent. These include:
– Prevent overeating and always aim for a healthy weight. This is because excess weight puts pressure on our stomach and increases production of stomach acids.
– Focus on eating small meals at regular intervals to prevent the back flow of stomach acids.
– Avoid lying down immediately after any meal to prevent heartburn.
– Avoid eating your dinner within three hours before going to sleep. Because eating close to bedtime can prevent efficient digestion of the foods leading to acid reflux.
– Limit the intake of chocolates, carbonated drinks, alcohol, coffee and citrus juices.
– Drink coconut water (nariyal paani) atleast one glass daily as it helps to soothe our stomach and digestive system.
– An hour before lunch, drink lemon juice to prevent acidity issues.
– Make a choice of drinking a glass of buttermilk with your meals. This is because it contains lactic acid that can normalize stomach acid levels and prevent acidity.
– Ginger is very good for our digestive health as it aids in digestion. Use ginger in cooking your meals to prevent heartburn and acid reflux.
– Certain foods can be consumed that are known to provide instant relief from acidity such as banana, yoghurt, lemon and jaggery.
– You can chew fennel seeds (or saunf) after your meals to prevent acidity.
– If you are not lactose intolerant, drinking a glass of cold milk when suffering from acidity can help to stabilize stomach acids and prevent their buildup.
– Do not wear tight clothes as that can lead to frequent acid reflux by putting pressure on our abdomen.
Heartburn or acid reflux is a common problem that we all face which causes a lot of discomfort. If you experience mild symptoms, then making lifestyle changes and adopting different home remedies mentioned can provide you relief. However, if you experience serious and chronic symptoms frequently, then it is important to get medical attention.
Heartburn or acid reflux is a common problem that we all face which causes a lot of discomfort. But have you ever wondered as to why do we experience heartburn and acid reflux in our body? How is it caused? What are few ways and home remedies that can help us get relief from the suffering that is caused because of acidity problems. In this blog post, I have discussed the reasons along with few home remedies that will be of great help to understand and get rid of your acidity problems.